Going on Vacation? Read this!
Are you going on Vacation?
If you are going on vacation it is especially important to make your home appear inhabited. To fully protect your home you will need to enlist the help of trusted neighbours, family and friends. Here are some things that you can do:
Note: Before you leave, you should tell someone you trust:
- Stop all mail delivery.
- Arrange for a neighbour to cut the grass or shovel snow.
- Cancel all deliveries during the time you will be away.
- Maintain normal lighting patterns by using electronic timers.
- Ask a neighbour to put one of their garbage bags in front of your house on collection day.
- Leave a radio on, with a timer if necessary to simulate normal use.
- Ask a neighbour to park in your driveway.
- Arrange for neighbours to pick up flyers.
- Don't talk about your vacation plans with strangers or service people.
- Use your work address on your luggage tags so a potential burglar won't know where your empty house is.
- If practical, remove valuables from your home. Small valuables should be stored in a safety deposit box.
- Lock garage door.
- That you will be away
- How long you will be absent
- Whether or not you will have a house sitter
- The number where you can be reached
What to Do if Your House is Broken Into:
Despite your best efforts, a burglar may still penetrate your home. If you return to find that your house has been robbed:
- Don't stay - Always think of your safety first
- Never confront a burglar or block the exit route
- Go immediately to a neighbour's home or nearby location and phone the police